As I started at my blank post I wondered what in the world I would write about this week and then it came to me – writer’s block. A lot of us are convinced it exists and use it to reason out why we spent our day avoiding our own imagination but I disagree, I think writer’s block is simply an excuse mind you, one I use quite often as it’s the old cliche that comes to mind when I just can’t think.
So here’s what I do:
- Write. Just write. Whatever comes to mind, to whoever I feel deserves to read it and wonder if it’ll be my next masterpiece or something I never read again.
- Take a moment to realize this happens. If you’re meant to do it you’ll have your days but more of them will be spent writing than trying to avoid it.
- Read another similar work to what I write or want to write. Distancing myself from my Work in Progress really regenerates the eagerness of my fingers to type or hold a pencil.
- I get inspired through music, other authors efforts and how far I’ve already come.
- And then I write some more and realize just how much I enjoy it.
That’s it. Excuses can determine your future but so can small steps. Although we all dream big and want great things the only way to get anywhere is through a step that keeps us well-balanced and focused on the destination versus the first step.
What are you waiting for? What’s blocking you and how do you get through it?
Thanks for reading,