I often find myself apologizing or temporarily regretting that I live in Canada. When I am not included in a contest terms and conditions, when Jamie Oliver created his petition that only Americans could sign, when I need a passport to visit a country just south of me. When Harper was re-elected. But then I turn away from my computer, open my door and walk outside. Then I realize I am delighted, grateful and proud to be Canadian despite sometimes feeling left out.
I had a blog post already written for this issue but when I realized it would be live on Canada Day I delayed it to say thank you.
- We’re free. I am free. I can post on a public website whenever I want and whatever I want (obviously I don’t want to post anything illegal or derogatory).
- Maple Syrup… yes, I realize this isn’t specific to Canada but I feel it’s something to be proud of as it’s a great asset we provide to the world
- We have good chocolate. No, it’s not German or Swiss but I LOVE Smarties, Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp (no, it’s not frozen coffee!) and, on side note, Tim Horton’s Caramel Cafe Mocha when made correctly (and yes, I just had to go get some chocolate yum!)
- Medicare, Free Medicare. Long waits, yes but care and attention when it’s needed the most and you don’t have to break the bank to see a doctor.
- Mr Dress-up, Jim Carrey, Sarah Mclachlan,
- Canadian authors : Leonard Cohen, Chad Pelley, Sheree Fitch, Robert Munsch, Carol Sheilds, Deborah Carr
- Basketball and BananaBoy (Sending You Sammy, my children’s book)
- Apple Pie
- Winnie the Pooh – the actual bear himself, the author of the stories isn’t Canadian but the idea was
- Keifer Sutherland… so he had his moments, did you watch 24
So many more reasons but Canada Day happens every year so I’ll need to save some for Canada Day 2012 and maybe even repeat them I’m so proud.
Thanks for reading and Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian friends.
Thanks for reading,
A Proud Canadian Author
As English I’m so impressed and love it surprisingly. I appreciate you and the beautiful to the eyes and tasty buds. Thanks for updating!
Just how I feel about being Irish sometimes! Then I think of the way so many nations around the world have to live and I am thankful. We have so many talented musicians, writers poets, we are brave and jovial in the face of disaster, we are resilient and we are free.